WHAT’S IN SEASON:
(This will vary depending on time of the month and where you live)
1. Upside-Down Plum Cake
This seriously beautiful dessert is also super easy to make. Recipe here.
3. Zucchini Agrodolce
Agrodolce is a traditional Italian sweet and sour sauce. It’s typically a reduction of vinegar and sugar, though this recipe uses honey. Recipe here.
5. Fig and Cantaloupe Salad with Watercress and Creamy Garlic-Lime Dressing
6. Japanese Curry Rice
7. Eggs Benedict Cumberbatch
If anything compliments runny egg yolk as well as bread does, it’s polenta. Recipe here.
9. Turkey Club Sandwich with Pork Belly and Enhanced Mayo
Get into back-to-school mode (even if you’ve been out of school for years) with this reinvented sandwich classic. Recipe here.
10. Pan-Fried Eggplant with Balsamic and Capers
Eggplant done wrong can be bland, bitter, and mushy. This is eggplant done RIGHT. Recipe here.
11. Roasted Cherry Tomatoes with Anchovies
Roasted tomatoes are a seriously underrated thing. Recipe here.
12. Pear and Arugula Salad with Roasted Chickpeas, Sweet Onions and Potato Wedges
Salty, sweet, and wonderfully green. Recipe here.
13. Chicken Roasted on a Bed of Vegetables
This month, it will finally cool down enough for you to turn on your oven. This is the first thing you should cook to celebrate. Recipe here.
14. Pickled Corn Succotash Salad
Pickling is a good way to make summer last forever. Recipe here.
16. Greens-Potato Hash with Fried Eggs and Potato Chip Breadcrumbs
The lesson here is that everything tastes better with crumbled potato chips. Recipe here.
21. Beet, Goat Cheese and Honey-Drizzled Tarts
Even someone who doesn’t like beets will *probably* like beets baked into puff pastry with goat cheese, drizzled with honey. Recipe here.
22. Shrimp Rolls with Herb Brown Butter Mayo
These deliciously summer-y sandwiches taste even better in September, when bikini season is nine months away and you can really load up on the brown butter mayo (yes, you read that right). Recipe here.
23. Zucchini Ricotta Fritters
I think eating vegetables is more fun when they’re mixed with cheese and then fried, but that’s just me. Recipe here.
24. Rice Pudding with Fresh Pears and Honey
Rice pudding isn’t for everybody, but this one can be. Recipe here.
25. The Perfect Cheeseburger
IT’S NOT TOO LATE! And frankly, grilling on a cool night in September is way more pleasant than on a 100-degree afternoon in July. Recipe here.
26. Salted Caramel Apple Hand Pies
On the one hand, it’s a little too early for apple pie. On the other hand, it’s never too early for apple pie. Recipe here.
28. Salted Chocolate Tart With Kettle Chip Crust
Berries and peaches are out of season. That makes me sad, because they are delicious. But it also makes me happy, because it means that I have to make do with straight chocolate for tart filling. Recipe here.
30. Portuguese Baked Eggs
Cheese, eggs, and tomato sauce are three very good reasons to wake up. Recipe here.