Sweet orange and fragrant cinnamon give a special flavor to this smooth and creamy caramel. When paired with fresh apple slices it makes a fun party snack your guests will love.
SERVES: 12 to 15
TIME TO TABLE:
10 minutes prep, 10 minutes cooking, 1 to 3 hours cooling.
1 ¼ cup sugar
5 oz. evaporated milk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 teaspoons Paramount Citrus orange zest
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 medium apples
Juice of 1 Paramount Citrus lime
1. Place the sugar, evaporated milk, butter and corn syrup in a medium-sized heavy saucepan. Turn the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until all ingredients are melted into a syrup.
2. Insert a candy thermometer into the pan. Allow the syrup to continue to cook without stirring. It will come to a boil.
3. Boil until it reaches 223 to 225 degrees F, about 5-7 minutes.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the orange zest, cinnamon and vanilla. Whisk quickly to distribute the flavors evenly throughout the caramel.
5. Pour the caramel into a heat safe bowl and let cool to room temperature. You can speed up the process by placing it in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
6. When ready to serve, slice the apples into 24 to 30 slices. Place the apple slices in a large bowl and toss with the lime juice to help prevent browning.
7. Spoon 1 to 1 ½ tablespoons of caramel into a shot glass. Place two slices of apple into the glass. Repeat for each serving.