Freshly baked bread is easy to make at home. This seasonal loaf combines oranges, cranberries and walnuts for a slice of toast that will get any autumn day off to a delicious start. Try topping it with Valencia Orange Vanilla Honey Butter for a truly tasty treat.
SERVINGS: 8 to 10
TIME TO TABLE:
1 hour 45 minutes prep time, 35 minutes bake time.
1 cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees F)
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
Zest of 2 Paramount Citrus Valencia oranges
5 tablespoons water
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1. Add the yeast and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar to the warm water. Let sit for 5 minutes until the yeast blooms.
2. Add the flour and remaining brown sugar to the bowl of a mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. Turn the mixer to low and pour in the yeast.
3. Add the salt and orange zest, continue to mix on low.
4. Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together into a ball. All of the flour should be incorporated, but it should also not be sticky. You should be able to handle it without it sticking to your hands.
5. Turn the mixer to medium-low and add the cranberries and walnuts. Continue to mix until they are incorporated into the dough, about 1 more minute.
6. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead for five minutes, working in any cranberries and walnuts that have dropped out during mixing.
7. Form into a ball and place in a bowl coated in olive oil. Place a towel over the bowl and let the dough rest on the countertop for 1 hour or until it has doubled in size.
8. Punch down the dough. Turn it out onto a floured surface and knead and shape into a loaf.
9. Place the loaf in a greased 8.5 x 4.5 inch loaf pan. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and let the dough rise in the pan on the stovetop for 30 minutes.
10. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the top crust has browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
11. Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Slice and serve.