This coconut curry soup recipe is flavored with roasted chickpeas and sweet potatoes, for an all-encompassing great meal.
For the Soup:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 large sweet potato
13 ounces coconut milk
2 cups almond milk
2 tablespoons curry powder
red or cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Roasted chickpeas:
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
plain greek yogurt, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
2. Poke the sweet potato several times with a fork and wrap it in foil
3. Bake the sweet potato in the oven until very soft, about 50 to 60 minutes.
4. Prepare the roasted chickpeas. Drain and rinse the canned chickpeas. Put them in a mixing bowl and toss them with the coconut oil, ground ginger and salt. Spread the chickpeas on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees (with the sweet potato) for 20 to 30 minutes until browned and crispy. Remove from oven and set aside.
5. While you’re roasting the sweet potato, prepare the remainder of the recipe. In a large pot, saute the onion in olive oil over medium heat until soft and browned, about 15 to 20 minutes.
6. In a blender, add the coconut milk, almond milk, curry powder, ground ginger, cayenne, salt. Add the onion and roasted sweet potato and blend until completely smooth.
7. Pour the soup into a pot and heat just until it reaches a gentle boil.
8. Serve in bowls with plain Greek yogurt and roasted chickpeas on top!
This soup can be served chilled in the summer time. Simply allow the soup to cool, pour it in a large sealable container and refrigerate until cold
This soup turns out thick, which makes it a very cozy soup. For a thinner consistency, add up to 1 cup more almond milk for water.
Cooking Method: Simmering
Recipe Yields: 4 bowls
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Total Time: 65 minutes