Do you know what’s great about summertime? It’s the fact that you get to enjoy some of the fantastic food from the summer fair! Of course, if you are like me, you push your way past the sausage, corn and other goodies and head straight for the funnel cakes. With this recipe, you will never need to wait for the country fair to come around ever again.
Making a special treat at home has a number of benefits. Not only will it help you to enjoy something that you love every year, it will allow you to continue to enjoy it and reminisce about the fun days of summer, even when it is snowing outside.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 3-5 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup water
½ tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup granulated sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
Oil for deep-fat frying
1. Heat oil to 375°F in a deep-fat fryer or larger heavy bottomed skillet.
2. In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, water and vanilla until well blended. Add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; whisk until smooth.
3. Cover the bottom of a funnel spout with your finger and carefully ladle ½-cup batter into the funnel. Hold the funnel several inches above the oil and release your finger, moving the funnel in a spiral motion until all of the batter has flowed out of the funnel. Scrape with a rubber spatula if necessary.
4. Fry 3-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown, using tongs to flip once. Drain on paper towels. Dust with powdered sugar; serve warm.
5. Repeat step 3 and 4 with remaining batter.
(Source: Love Bakes Good Cakes)