Preparation time: 15 – 20 mins Baking time: 12 15 mins
cut into pieces
o 175ml (6floz)buttermilk o 2 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat the oven to 220C (425F/Gas 7). Line a baking sheet with parchment and grease.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a large chilled bowl.
3. Put the butter in the bowl, keeping all ingredients as cold as possible.
4. Rub with your fingertips until it forms fine crumbs, working quickly, lifting to aerate it.
5. Make a well in the center and in a slow, steady stream, pour the buttermilk into it.
6. Quickly toss the flour mixture and the buttermilk with a fork. Do not over-mix.
7. Stir the mixture till the crumbs form a dough. Add a little more buttermilk if it seems dry.
8. Turn onto a floured surface and knead for a few seconds. Keep it rough, not smooth.
9. Pat the dough out to a round 2cm (3/4 inch) thick, keeping it as cool and unworked as possible.
10. Cut out rounds with the pastry cutter.
11. Pat out the trimmings and cut additional rounds until all the dough has been used.
12. Arrange the scones so they are about 5cm (2 inch) apart on the prepared baking sheet.
13. Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned and risen. Scones should be eaten the day they are baked, ideally still warm from the
oven. Spread with butter, jam, and clotted cream or thick double cream.