This lemon roll recipe makes the ideal springtime snack. Let the good times rise, people!
For the Dough:
2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
1/8 teaspoon lemon oil
For the Filling:
1/2 cup lemon curd
1/4 cup raspberry jam
For the Lemon glaze:
1 1/2 sifted cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix the instant yeast with 3/4 cup warm water (105-115 F.) Set aside until yeast has dissolved and is bubbly, about 10 minutes.
2. Whisk together the flour, sugar and salt. Add the flour mixture and lemon zest to yeast. Mix on low just until moistened. Add the egg, butter and lemon oil Mix until dough forms a soft, smooth ball, about 10 minutes.
3. Place the dough ball into a lightly oiled bowl, turn on all sides to coat and cover with plastic wrap. Set in warm room temperature to rise until puffy but not necessarily doubled in size, about 1 1/2 – 2 hours.
4. Gently deflate dough and transfer to a lightly floured work surface. Roll the dough to a 10-inch by 14-inch rectangle. Spread the lemon curd (and raspberry jam, if using) over the dough evenly, leaving 1/2-inch margin on the long sides.
5. Starting with one of the long sides, gently roll the dough up and end with the seam side down. Use a length of dental floss, cut the log into twelve pieces, each 1 1/2″ wide. Place the rolls, spiral side up into paper cups sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Cover the rolls loosely with plastic wrap and allow to rise again until puffy, about 1 1/2 hours. Preheat oven to 350 F. Remove plastic and bake rolls for 25-30 minutes until golden brown Transfer rolls to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Once cooled, combine all the glaze ingredients together in a small bowl. If the consistency is thicker than you’d like, add another 1/2 – 1 tablespoon heavy cream. Drizzle over the cooled rolls.
If using raspberry jam along with lemon curd, reduce lemon curd to 1/4 cup.
Cooking Method: Baking
Recipe Yields: 12 rolls
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes