This apple strudel recipe is easy to make and guaranteed to satisfy all lovers of both breads and sweets.
2 sheets puff pastry, thawed as per package instructions
2 cups apples, peeled, cored and diced
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup pecans
1/4 cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoons shortbread cookie crumbs
1 egg, beaten, with 1 teaspoon water
1-3 teaspoons turbinado sugar, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375º F.
2. In a medium bowl, toss apples with granulated sugar, cinnamon, lemon zest and flour. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine pecans, brown sugar and shortbread cookie crumbs. Set aside.
4. Roll out one sheet of puff pastry to a rectangle measuring 10-inches by 12-inches. Sprinkle with half of the nut mixture and place half of the apples on top. Fold one of the long sides over the apples. Begin to roll up the strudel, tucking in the ends and pinching them as you go to seal the ends. Place the log on prepared baking sheet, seam side down.
5. Brush the log with egg wash and make slits in the top with a sharp knife. Sprinkle top with Turbinado sugar. Repeat process with remaining sheet of puff pastry.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes until golden brown. Remove to a cooling rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Cooking Method: Baking
Recipe Yields: 20 slices
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes