Orange Chicken is traditionally a Chinese dish, literally called: “Dried Citrus peel chicken” referring to dried orange or tangerine peel.
This wonderful dish looks beautiful, tastes delicious and luckily, this recipe is quick and simple without all of the added calories or guilt!
Mouth Watering Orange Chicken
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: About 22 minutes
Orange Chicken Marinade
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Orange chicken marinade
Orange Chicken Garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Chopped red bell pepper (cut into tiny pieces)
- Green onion (thinly sliced)
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients and whisk in a large bowl. The mixture should thicken once you add the corn starch.
- Add chicken to the marinade and let sit in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
- After about 12 minutes, heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat, in preparation for the chicken. Note: Before adding the chicken, be sure to save the marinade from the bowl where the chicken is soaking. Set the marinade to the side.
- Add the chicken to the saute pan and let cook for about 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken begins to brown.
- Once the chicken is nearly cooked, add the remaining marinade mixture to your saute pan. Let the sauce heat and come to a boil. (You should notice that your sauce will begin to thicken.) Once the sauce boils, stir the sauce and chicken for an additional 4-5 minutes until the chicken is cooked completely.
- Remove immediately and garnish with sesame seeds, green onion and red pepper flakes, if desired.