Makes 1 dozen muffins • Regular 12-cup muffin tin
Nonstick cooking spray
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil, or vegetable shortening, melted
1. Heat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease the muffin cups with cooking spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. In a separate bowl, beat the egg until frothy. Add the milk and oil; mix well.
3. Make a well in the center of the flour. Pour in the milk mixture all at once. Stir quickly and lightly until just mixed, but some lumps can remain.
4. Quickly fill the muffin cups 2/3 full; wipe off any spilled drips of batter. (If the batter does not fill all of the cups, fill the empty ones with water to keep the grease from burning.)
5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the tins and serve warm, or cool on a wire rack.
A Note from Miss Kay
My mentoring group often meets in the mornings, so this muffin recipe is the perfect dish to bring and enjoy. It can easily be doubled for two muffin pans full. Also, you can use cute muffin liners for a happy morning treat.